United States Rape Statistics
Rape is not just a women’s problem, but rather a societal problem. Here are some rape statistics to help show to provide more information on the issue.
Rape Statistics on the Victims
• 1 out of 6 American women have been through either an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime.
• Over 17.7 million women in America are currently the victims of completed or attempted rape.
• In 2003, 90% of rape victims were women.
• 80% of rape victims are white, but minorities are more likely to experience an attack.
• 1 in 33 American men have been the victim of an attempted rape or completed rape.
• In 2003, 10% of rape victims were men
• Over 2.5 million American men have been the victims of rape or sexual assault.
• 80% of rape and sexual assault victims are less than 30 years old, while 33% are less than 18 and 15 are less than 12.
• Young women ages 16-19 are four times more likely to be victims or attempted rape, rape, or sexual assault in comparison to the general population.
Rape Statistics: Frequency
• Attempted rape, rape, or sexual assault occurred to individuals 12 or older 248,300 times according to 2007 rape statistics.
• Someone is sexually assaulted in the United States every 2 minutes.
• Thankfully, the rate of sexual assault has fallen over 60% since 1993.
Rape Statistics: Reporting the Crime
• At least 60% of sexual assaults and rapes are not reported to law enforcement authorities, meaning only approximately 6% of rapists experience jail time.
• This means approximately 15/16 rapists are not held accountable for their crimes.
Rape Statistics: The Offenders
• About 67% of rapes and sexual assaults are done by someone the victim has met as opposed to a stranger.
• 38% are an acquaintance or friend, 28% are someone who is considered intimate, and 7% is a family member or relative.
• Over half of all sexual assaults and rape incidents happen within a mile of the home of either the offender or the victim.
• According to rape statistics, approximately 40% occur in the victim’s home and 20% happen in a friend, relative’s, or neighbors home.
• 43% of all rapes happen between 6PM and 12AM, 24% happen from 12AM to 6AM, while 33% happen between 6AM and 6PM.
• The average age of the offender is 31 years old.
• About half of the offenders are white.
• 22% of rapists that are imprisoned are married.
• In about 1/3 of all sexual assaults, the offender is under the influence of either drugs or alcohol.
• 84% of rapes use only physical force according to victims.
• More than 1/10 of the rapes in 2001 used a weapon such as a knife, gun, or other form.
• Almost half of rapists released from prison committed another crime and was arrested for it within 3 years.